Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Day in the Life of: a Retail Rat

Whether it's the same 'ole, hum-drum routine, an exhausting pace or a mere lack of passion, there is something driving the inner entrepreneur in all of us. Therefore, we are kicking off a monthly series that will share background stories from Leopard Umbrella clients... women who, like you, were looking for something more!

"Retail Rat"

The alarm clock chimes at 6:45 A.M., I hit snooze and roll over to catch a few more sweet moments of much needed rest. Seven o’clock comes and I grudgingly get out of bed all the while dreading going to work. In the kitchen over breakfast, I stare at my frighteningly long “to-do” list trying to decide which items I will have the energy to tackle after a long day on my feet. The only place open early enough to get part of my list checked off before work is the dry cleaners. After work I will take care of: groceries, prescription pickup, Target run and Petsmart. The rest can wait until I have more energy. Now I get ready for work and throw a load of laundry in the wash before leaving.

I get to work at ten minutes before nine – and I sit in the car for nine more because I just don’t want to go in quite yet. And now, the grind...

Some of the customers are really sweet and get excited over the smallest bit of information I can share with them. For those customers, I call them the “rays of sunshine,” I am eternally grateful. It’s the folks who just want to vent that have a knack for spoiling my mood (and they do). But that is enough complaining. After many long hours and far too short a lunch break, it’s FINALLY time for freedom.

First stop, drugstore. I’m too tired to make it to Target or Petsmart, so I head straight to the grocery store…after all they sell dog food, right?

Ah, home at last! You know, I love how my dog is just always thrilled when I get home. She helps me bring in the groceries (OK, she is moral support at least) and tilts her head to the side when I enthusiastically throw off my shoes.

So…please bare with me, as I am too tired to write in complete sentences any longer. (Thought to self: How am I supposed to throw motherhood in to this mix?!)

Move laundry to dryer and start dinner. After dinner, clean up. After cleaning kitchen, fold and put laundry away. Read for a while. Wash up for bed. Too tired to write anymore. Pass out.

The alarm clock chimes at 6:45 A.M., I hit snooze…

No comments:

Post a Comment